Thursday, February 17, 2011

Charlies Hangels


In possibly the worst-named article of all time, Ben McAlpine finds himself star struck by a new breed of hang glider pilots.

The first thing I noticed about Charlotte (AKA Charlie) were her huge, impossibly beautiful, dark brown eyes. They were like bottomless pools of… brown stuff, that I felt inexorably drawn into and where I would happily drown. As I stared longingly into them, my heart began palpitating as she held my gaze unwaveringly. She was penetrating my very soul with a look of uncontrollable desire that couldn’t be mistaken. I arranged my lips to be attractively pouted and constructed my best “come-hither” eyebrow pose. Then to my horror I realised she was actually looking right past me at a little cumulus cloud budding out of the blue over Magic Mountain. She hadn’t noticed me at all… in a nanosecond my face went from being Antonio Banderas in Zorro to Ricky Gervais in The Office. I shuffled off and beat up a young pilot for not being able to produce his NZHGPA membership card on demand, and felt a lot better…

In the Deep South there is a small revolution happening in the sport of hang gliding. In a sport dominated by men “of a certain age”, one club has produced a new crop of pilots that are not only young, but predominantly female. This is down to 3 years of dedication of two Dunedin instructors (Hagen Bruggermann and Lisa Bradley) spending huge amounts of time and energy (and a fair bit of their own money) to get these youngsters airworthy. After some intense negotiations I managed to secure an interview with these fledglings to see what made them break the mould so radically. Girls their age should be hanging at the mall and gossiping evilly about their peers rather than heaving hang gliders up training slopes and making life-or death decisions on the wing…

Technical note: As you all know, young females are incapable of comprehendible vocal communication and these ones demanded to be interviewed by text instead… As I am obviously too old to be able to text fast enough to hold their attention, a compromise was reached and the interviews were completed in Facebook chatrooms.

Marlina as a 13 year old about to launch

Marlina age 15

(Marlina is the little sister of Jonas our 17 year old prodigy who took second at last year’s HG nats and has been tearing up the men’s field in Australia under the tutelage of world number 2 Johnny Durand.)

BM: Thanks for the interview, I’ve never met you in person, but you can see from my profile photo I’m pretty cool…

Ben's Facebook profile photo

ML: W8eva
BM: Ok, moving right along… so what age did you first fly a hang glider?
ML: 13
BM: That is actually amazing. Your parents must have been very proud of you.
ML: w8eva
BM: Do you ever communicate in complete sentences?
ML: ?
BM: Have you ever got to cloudbase? If so, where was it and were you scared?
ML: no
BM: I can see I’m keeping you from watching something on TV aren’t I…
ML: L8ta
BM: Thanks alot Marlina, you’re my hero. But you might want to take some PR lessons if you ever get famous… just a suggestion.

“Kelly"

Kelly age 20

BM: I met you at Omarama but I must confess I don’t know your last name
K: …let’s just keep it that way shall we?
BM: When you met me, did you think I looked quite young for a 30 year old?
K: yeah, right…
BM: Do you think Jonas is gorgeous?
K: Why, do you?
BM: This interview is not about me, but now you ask, I suppose he does have a certain unspoilt choirboy sort of appeal…
K: You’re kind of freaking me out…
BM: Sorry about that… where were we? May I say I am extremely impressed you have got through the training phase of hang gliding. Was it tough?
K: You mean because I’m a girl?
BM: ummm… yes, I suppose I do…
K: You know they actually have smaller gliders for smaller people? So no Ben, I didn’t find it as tough as if I was, say, a middle aged man…
BM: Ouch baby!
K: Don’t call me baby.
BM: … sorry about that. I was trying to be hip to the groove…
K: ???
BM: Well, I hope you keep flying hang gliders. If we ever meet again, please believe me when I tell you I am actually extremely cool. We could hang out and everything…
K: I don’t think so.

Charlotte pretending to check her glider

Charlotte age 21

BM: I met you and Kelly at Omarama, and may I say you two are the most glamorous thing to happen in Hang Gliding since John O’Neill got a new pair of polyester slacks.
CM: Well thank you Ben… I guess that’s a compliment.

Charlotte and Kelly pretending they aren't posing

BM: You’re much friendlier than those other 2, and you write proper sentences.
CM: Kelly told me you’re a creep.
BM: We got off on the wrong foot. I’m not used to these online chat rooms. I thought you were supposed to flirt...
CM: yes I got that impression…
BM: can I flirt with you?
CM: I don’t think so Ben…
BM: what are you wearing?
CM: GET TO THE POINT!!!
BM: sorry… righto… um, what made you take up Hang Gliding?
CM: This sucks Ben. It was a dumb idea.
BM: Hey, have you finished with that muffin?
CM: Yeah, help yourself.

(With this, we both closed our laptops and continued the interview by normal talking.)

Ok, I admit that maybe I made up one or two tiny details up to now, but from here on you can believe me, this all totally true stuff about Charlotte. I actually did a proper interview, honest. Once Charlotte got used to being in the presence of my overpowering (not in an olfactory sense) masculinity she really opened up and I am ashamed to say she totally “outpassions” me in hang gliding. Here is her story:

Charlotte was a gormless teenager (actually that’s a lie, she was a passionate ballet dancer until she suffered an injury) who saw her two brothers tearing up the local Dunedin hill every weekend with hang gliders on their roof racks. She went along and watched every so often and couldn’t for the life of her understand what the attraction was of “throwing grass around for half an hour and driving home again.” A few years drifted by with her giving little thought to the sport, but found herself stuck in a Dunedin rut (is there ever any other outcome?) and wondering what could give her back the spark she felt was missing. After some elaborate acts of deception to hide the fact from their mother, Charlotte found herself on the road to the big O with her brother Andrew and the usual DFC suspects. Yes, Omarama, here we come. She was not without fear as she set off on this new adventure, but strangely enough the fear was “that she would let her brothers down by trying it and not liking it.” (This same point came up 3 or 4 times in the interview). Omarama turned out to be five days in a row of getting up at 5.30 am to beat the strong winds to do some ground skims and low flights, and on the last day she had a 1500m high flight: “I came home from that trip just absolutely buzzing, grinning from ear to ear. When I came back to work everyone was asking me how I was and I was just saying FAN-TAS-TIC! I’m awesome, how are you? …I was annoyingly happy for quite a while…” One of the unexpected after effects was hours of sleeplessness every night for weeks, caused by being so utterly excited about her flying. (Even now, years after starting, she confesses to losing sleep regularly for the same reason.) She told me, looking back on those early days, it had been a long time since she had felt that amazing joy of having a genuine passion for something. It wasn’t until she started hang gliding she realised that her life had become a ho-hum routine. “I don’t want to sound overly dramatic, but now I have hang gliding, life would suck without it.…”

Charlie launching with a good strong run near Queenstown

At this point the interview takes an ugly turn as I interrogate Charlotte on her hideous, treasonous act of learning to paraglide and achieving her PG2 rating. After bullying her for a few minutes and twisting her mind with leading questions, it turns out she loves hang gliding the most. So there: incontrovertible proof that paragliding is a complete waste of time. (I think I fell asleep at one point but she probably did say lots of nice things about paragliding. But there is no space here to mention them so we’d best move along.)

Has she ever got to cloudbase thermalling? “Yes, but it’s not like I’ve ever got to 10,000ft.” With this I choked on my beer and changed the subject before she found out I haven’t even made it to 9000ft. Has she ever gone cross country? “Yes, but not very successfully.” (thank God, I can still beat someone ….) How does she handle bombing out? “After seeing other pilots whining around the campfire, I made a decision early on not to cry about spilt milk. When I’m down in the bombout paddock I just think: Wow, I just flew off that huge hill and it was really lovely. Guys that land and have a temper tantrum, well, if you’re putting that much pressure on yourself you’re probably not going to enjoy your flying.”

I asked her how do guys handle it, romantically speaking, when they find out she’s a hang glider pilot? Did they feel intimidated and a tad emasculated when they find out she’s doing stuff ten times as brave as what they’ve ever done? “I’ve definitely had some strange reactions… and yes, believe it or not some guys have said exactly that…. townies mainly.”

I asked about the other DFC girls, Kelly and Marlina. (Please note that they were all much younger back then, hence my use of the dodgy term “girls”.) She started gushing, but not in a girly way...she has great memories of the whole gang spending days on the training hills together. (Footage of these heady days can be seen online. Go to YouTube and search: “omarama girls” to find it) I then attempted to delicately ask if it was harder to learn as a female than if she were male. After an appropriate amount of indignant protesting she settled down and gave me an interesting answer: “I had to sort of know myself quite well. There were points when I was learning where you might want to freak out, and subconsciously you kind of know in your head that because you’re a girl it’s almost OK for you to freak out… but I didn’t want to perpetuate any sexist stereotypes. Also, I didn’t want to be just ‘good for a girl’, I wanted to be good, full stop.… I think that girls make good pilots actually.” When pressed on why she thought this, she mentioned the well known (albeit mythical) female prowess in multi-tasking, the possibility that a certain precision is required of your input when you can’t rely on brute strength to fix any errors, and also the fact that female pilots aren’t so macho (funny, that…) means they may be less prone to making silly decisions based on ego rather than facts. I told her to stop dribbling such sissy nonsense.

I suggested to Charlotte that she could easily get in the NZ hang gliding team (with there being only about 5 female pilots active in hang gliding in NZ) if she got good at XC flying. This could give her the chance to compete at the Worlds. She again gushed, this time about the competition scene she witnessed in Aussie this year. “It was so cool being in that scene, with 80 hang gliders rigging up on the hill and everyone pushing themselves to fly further and faster, and everyone was just completely focussed on the flying, above all else. And yeah, I would love to represent NZ one day but that’s a long way off. For now I just want to get good”.

What is she flying these days? “Well, I don’t really want you to print this but I’ve moved on to a Litespeed S.” I again choked on my beer, this time with jealousy. I was also furious I had missed my chance to ask the “hilarious” question about whether she had done any topless hang gliding. Anyway, I duly promised not to print her comments and she opened up about it: “It’s fantastic, it’s really easy to fly, I love it.” Landings? “Well, so far I’ve only landed it into wind, so it’s been really easy. But when the time comes for a nil wind landing, I’ve made a pledge to just go for the big flare. If I f*** it up, so be it, but I don’t want to be a pansy about it.” Why didn’t she want it known she was flying a topless glider? She got a bit squirmy about that, and said she had experienced one or two people suggesting that “girls should stay on a skyfloater”, so she wanted to stay under the radar to avoid hearing such stuff…. Well, that was a bit of a bombshell to end the interview. More tea anyone?

She finished with a heartfelt plea to me to mention the fact that her achievements so far are more of a tribute to her instructors who have gone the extra mile, and wanted to thank them and her fellow trainees for great times so far. Trust a girl to get all soppy like that….

Charlie Hamming it up for another YouTube shoot

Charlie has her hair ruined by a lenticular cloud

Charlie doublng as the DFC hairdresser

No comments: